Erskinomics Consulting Pty Ltd is an economics and strategy consulting firm, founded in 1999 by Alex Erskine. Erskinomics undertakes projects that contribute to reforms in Asia, Africa and Australia to foster sound economic and welfare gains and maintain stability in the financial system. It re-opened for business in October 2013 and has been busy especially in Tanzania with a major project on illicit financial flows for the Bank of Tanzania, in Sydney with two papers (on regulatory architecture and on Asian trade reforms) for the Australian Centre for Financial Studies, and in Fiji and Cambodia with two Financial Regulator training courses for APEC/ADB.
From 1999 until 2007, through Erskinomics Alex Erskine won and led AusAID, GIZ and World Bank international development projects in Thailand, Vietnam, Lao PDR and with the ASEAN Secretariat/all 10 ASEAN countries. He also taught his course on the economics of financial markets to about 400 would-be Masters of Applied Finance in Australian and Asian financial centres (Beijing, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Singapore, Sydney and Tokyo).
Previous roles for Alex Erskine outside of Erskinomics:
- Australian Securities & Investments Commission – regulation, the GFC and emerging risks
- Citibank in Australia and in Asia – banking, financial forecasts, Asian crisis
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet – policy and reforms
- Economist Intelligence Unit Ltd – economic assessments and Kenya tourism
- Reserve Bank of Australia – government finance
- 2000–2008 Macquarie University Applied Finance Centre – Visiting Fellow
- 1977 University of Cambridge – MA
- 1970-1973 University of Cambridge – BA (1st class honours) in economics
Drawing on 4 decades of cycles, crises and reforms, Alex can research and advise on what to do and how to do it better, especially regarding economic and financial development, statistics and regulation. His focus is often the sensible design of financial systems for the economy and community and incentives for their individual component parts, be they policymakers, banks, fund managers, other more micro institutions, exchanges, agents, gatekeepers and regulators. He can provide insights on what will fail and what will get you on track. He also specialises in identifying emerging risks to desired financial and economic outcomes.
For tasks big and small, contact Erskinomics here >